The IC-5 supplement is a product that promises to help the body increase insulin sensitivity and balance the amount of sugar found in the bloodstream. According to its developer, BioTrust, the supplement can also help prevent carbohydrates from being stored as fat by decreasing insulin resistance.
I’ve gone through a lot of low-carb and no-carb diets in recent years just to be able to lose weight but unfortunately wasn’t too successful in my efforts. I decided to try IC-5 because it promised to provide me with a solution to my weight problem without the need to drastically limit my carb intake.
How IC-5 Works
There are three main benefits that IC-5 claims to provide to users, and these are increased insulin sensitivity, healthy blood sugar levels, and the partitioning of carbohydrates to muscle instead of fat. I have heard about insulin and blood sugar for some time but I’ve never really understood what they had to do with losing weight. Apparently, these two components play a huge role in a person’s weight gain and weight loss.
With IC-5, users are supposed to take two capsules of the supplement before a carbohydrate-packed meal. The ingredients contained in the capsules will then work to increase the sensitivity of insulin and glycogen receptors in the body in order to “direct” carbohydrates into the muscles to be used as energy. As I’ve read in several articles, the usual “route” of the carbohydrates ingested by a person is a straight line toward the bloodstream instead of the muscles. The high saturation of carbs in the blood then increases the amount of glucose in the bloodstream, and with nowhere else to go, they are stored as fat. This chain of events results in weight gain, a decreased level of insulin receptor sensitivity, and a myriad of other health complications.
IC-5 aims to help the body direct the flow of carbs from the bloodstream to the muscles with 5 main ingredients:
Berberine, Cinnamon Bark Extract, Zychrome, Benfotiamine and Naringin
- Berberine has been shown to help partition carbs to muscle (not body fat) by facilitating the uptake of carbs into muscles. Berberine also promotes fat burning and blunts the body’s ability to store fat. Studies show that supplementation with Berberine for 3 months significantly improves carbohydrate metabolism, optimizes insulin sensitivity, and reduces body weight.
- Cinnamon Bark Extract (25:1) is standardized for 30% polyphenols, the bioactive components of cinnamon. Cinnamon has been shown to improve blood sugar levels by enhancing insulin sensitivity and by inhibiting the activity of certain carbohydrate-digesting enzymes.
- Zychrome is a branded, trademarked, and researched-backed ingredient that has been shown to promote insulin sensitivity and healthy insulin function. Taking 400μg of Zychrome daily—the exact same amount in IC-5—for 12 weeks has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity by 30%.
- Benfotiamine, a derivative of Thiamine, helps burn off and block the body’s ability to manufacture Advanced Glycation End-Products (AGEs). AGEs play a significant role in oxidative stress, impaired glucose function, and aging. A recent study demonstrated that taking Benfotiamine before a carbohydrate-containing meal that was also high in AGEs was markedly effective at improving carbohydrate management and reducing harmful AGEs within hours.
- Naringin is a flavonoid found naturally in grapefruits and other citrus fruits. It has been shown to inhibit P-glycoprotein (P-gp), a compound that can reduce the absorption of Berberine by as much as 90%. By inhibiting P-gp, Naringin has the potential to double the bioavailability of compounds like Berberine.
Benfotiamine and Naringin both provide direct antioxidant support, which plays an important role in promoting insulin sensitivity and improving carbohydrate management.
If you take a bit of time to read up on these ingredients, you’ll know that they have been proven to increase sensitivity of insulin reception and help maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
My Experience with IC-5
I never really had high expectations from the product because I was thinking, “How could it be different from the others?” However, since the literature on the website answered every question I’ve ever had about weight loss and carb intake I figured there was nothing to lose if I did give it a try. I ordered a bottle of IC-5 and my package arrived a few days later. At this point, let me make it clear that if you plan to use this supplement or any other for that matter, you should first consult your doctor so he or she can make the necessary recommendations and advice you of the probable effects and side effects.
Moving on, the directions on the supplement bottle were easy enough to follow: Take two capsules with your two largest carbohydrate-containing meals. For those on a low-carb diet however, the recommended dosage is two capsules twice daily before a meal. One IC-5 container had 60 capsules which were good for a month.
The first week using IC-5 had no visible results to show for it, and at this point I was really disappointed because it seemed that the supplement was just another one of those products that claimed everything and did nothing. I decided to give it one more week to be sure, thinking that I was going to ask for my money back and give the company a piece of mind when I did so if the product was bogus.
By the second week however, I was feeling more energetic and less sluggish. You see, increased carbohydrates in the body not only decreases insulin receptor sensitivity but it also slows down metabolism so much so that you feel sluggish and tired even if you’re not engaged in physical activity. The supplement was finally working for me and was delivering as promised, so I decided to finish the remaining two weeks and see where it will lead me.
For the third and fourth week, I decided to monitor my weight to see if I gained any more pounds because of the carbs I was consuming. The good news is that I never gained an ounce, much less a pound, and I’m now full of energy that even a full day at the office does not leave me drained and stressed out. I’m now on my second bottle of IC-5, and I’ve decided to include some exercise and cardio to my daily routine to burn off the fat much faster.
The Good and the Bad
I’m quite satisfied with IC-5 and the results it has delivered so far. I also appreciate the fact that my experience with the product has helped me switch to a healthier lifestyle without ever depriving myself of carbohydrates. That is not to say I can eat as much carbs as I like though, and I must warn you that using IC-5 does not give you the license to fill your body with carbs. Moderation is the word, and if you are able to control and eat just the right amounts, you will surely be on your way to better health.
There’s only one thing I don’t appreciate about it and it has nothing to do with its effects. I just wish they’d make the product more commercial and available in local health stores. Right now, the only way you can get a hold of IC-5 is through the BioTrust website.
Pricing and Packaging
A bottle of the IC-5 supplement costs $69 plus shipping, and this is what I recommend to those who want to try it out before ordering more. You can also purchase 3 bottles at $64 each or 6 bottles for $59 each. Once you’ve tried IC-5 and have proven that it’s what you need, I suggest you take advantage of the 6-bottle offer to save money. The product also comes with a 1-year money back guarantee, so there’s really nothing to lose if you try it out.
Have you tried IC-5?
Please give us your review and results in the comments section below…